Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sinbad's Last Voyage by Toni Sweeney


Let's find out more about the woman in your book...

1. What is the name of the book where we would meet you? What genre is it?

It's called Sinbad's Last Voyage and it's a science fiction adventure.


2. Who wrote the book?

Toni V. Sweeney


3. What do you think of the author? You can tell us the truth.

I can't figure out how she got into my mind so! Some of the things I thought about Sinbad, especially when I first met him...it makes me blush now, even worse than I blushed back then.


4. Tell us a little about yourself. How would you describe your appearance? That's more than just really cute or drop dead gorgeous. Give us enough detail to get a clear idea of how you look.

I've been called a little runt. I'm about 5'3", weight about one hundred and ten. My godfather says I can lick my weight in wildcats! Even my husband Tran, who's 'way over six feet didn't talk back when I get angry! In spite of being a Navajo, I have blue eyes and blonde hair. I'm adopted, you see. I make my own clothes and help Tran run the farm that originally belonged to my grandfather, and until I met Sinbad, followed the precepts of the Naturals to the letter.


5. What character are you in the book? Are you the hero, the best friend, the side kick, the hero and heroine's child or someone else?

I'm the heroine, although at the beginning I feel totally lost! I never realized such things could happen or that people like Sinbad sh'en Singh existed!


6. Is there a specific reason why you're in the story? Don't give us any story spoilers, but you can share some teasers if you want.

I guess there wouldn't be much of a story without me in it. If I hadn't gone to Old Town to hire Sinbad to find my husband, nothing would've happened.


7. What time period do you live in?

It's in the future, somewhere around 2300, I think.


8. Where are you from?

I live in a valley near Angel City in California. It used to be called Los Angeles before the Great Quake made most of southern California fall into the ocean.


9. Do you live in the same place now?

At this precise moment, I still live on the farm. I'm waiting for Sinbad to come back from his last smuggling run. After that, I have a sneaking suspicion he wants to go home to Felida.


10. Tell us about your hometown and your current home.

I live on a farm which supplies most of the food for the local Federation base. Tran used to drive the wagon there each week. That was before he was arrested as a spy. We live as people did in the mid-twentieth century in a farming community--everyone gets together to help harvest, then we have a big celebration to give thanks for the bounty--the usual things.


11. Tell us how your hometown or your current home effects you, the things you do and how you feel about life?

I'm a member of the Naturals. We teach that everyone is equal under God. That precept was one of the reasons the Naturals were once placed on the Suspects List by the Federation. I was shocked when Sinbad told me how his people are still considered animals because that is their punishment for attacking Earth. He reminded me that I was being a little intolerant myself in my attitude toward him and I was ashamed. I've always considered myself a kind person, so I forced myself to see past his differences, and-- I fell in love with him.


12. What special skills or abilities do you have?

I'm fairly well-learned with it comes to herbal remedies. I can weave cloth and make leather boots, and milk a cow. A few weeks before my son was born, I went hunting and killed a deer. I have an old -fashioned Winchester which shoots lead projectiles.


13. How do those affect your part in the story?

Sinbad teaches me how to shoot an LX-14. That's a laser pistol. My other skills weren't much use when you're speeding through space, although my knowledge of herbals came in handy after Prince Ludsa's henchman beat Sinbad so.


14. Are you happy with the story?

I'm happy, in a way. I wish Sinbad hadn't decided to do that last smuggling run. I wanted him to stay with me then and there. So what if I refused to marry him? That was a very frightening step on my part, considering what my people think of living together outside of marriage! He'll be back though and he swears he'll never leave, and he's got some idea that he's going to convince me to wear that mate's ring of his, forever! I keep reminding him that he doesn't want a female he can bully--so how can I give in without it appearing that he's doing just that?


15. Do you have some ideas that the author should consider about the story? You can share them with us. We're all friends here.

I would've liked to know more about Sin and have him know more about me--how my parents died and how I came to live with Vicente Talltrees. There are so many things I wanted to ask him but I knew it wasn't the right time. He's still hurting from some of it. Perhaps in another story....


16. Tell us about your past. Can you share one really good experience and/or one really bad experience? I know that bad experience can be tough, but it would tell us more about what you've been through.

In spite of the fact that I was an orphan, my entire life was one good experience--I married a man I loved, had a beautiful son--until the war came. Afterward? I suppose it was the moment when the nurse came to me after Sin's surgery, after Tran shot him, and told me-- I can't say any more. That's be giving away an important part of the story. Besides, it still hurts to talk about it, even now.


17. Who is the most important person in your life? Tell us about them.

I suppose I should say one of my sons, but I have to say Sinbad. My children will grow up and leave but Sin's always going to be here, and we're going to argue and fight and make love and grow old together....


18. Is that person in the story we're talking about?

Most definitely.


19. How does that person impact you and your life?

He is my life.


20. Do you have any children?

I have one son, Acashi, with my husband Tran, and a son, Allan, with Sinbad. Allan is named after Sinbad's father.


21. If you do, tell us about them. If you don't have any children, you can tell us why not - but, only if you want to tell us.

Those are the only two right now, but if I know Sin--and I'm beginning to, pretty well--he's going to want to have more. Felidan males make great fathers, they tell me.


22. What do you see in your future?

If we stay on Earth, staying on the farm and working it. If we go to Felida---I'll have to learn a whole set of new rules. Between you and me, I can't see Sin being a farmer for the rest of his life. I think he's got something planned he isn't telling me....


23. Do you think your author is going to write another story about you? Or, are you part of a series?

Yes, most definitely. She says the nest book is all about me, and from what I've seen of it, I'm going to need all the courage I can muster! She says it's all true. Am I really that brave, Toni?


24. Do you like being a character in a book?

Are you sure I'm just a character? I feel pretty real, frankly.


25. If someone ever decides to make a movie based on your story, who should play you in the movie and why?

Natgurals are supposed to be self-asuming, so that's a really immodest step for me, but... I've been thinking about that. I think that singer, Fergie...now, she looks a lot like I do. I wonder--is she a small person, do you think?

Its been great to talk with you. If you want to tell us anything else, feel free. Also, tell us about a website where we can learn more about you and where we can buy the book. If you have a picture of yourself, feel free to send it.

I'm sorry. My people don't believe in having their pictures taken and I can't afford to have a portrait painted--not yet, anyway. Perhaps when I become the Pride Chief's Heir's Wife....

No comments:

Post a Comment